Author Topic: Nazareth lodge orphanage in Belfast  (Read 71594 times)

stow

Re: Nazareth lodge orphanage in Belfast
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2009, 04:01:57 PM »
Hi
   Did anyone out there work in Nazareth house in the 80s??? :)
Terry McCauley worked there for years
              he was there when i was in the home.

stow

« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2009, 04:29:37 PM »
does anyone remember the maughan family who was in nazareth lodge in the care of the sisters of nazareth.there was eleven in the family and they were from a traveling background or so called gypsys as the nuns called us.dated from late 60s to 80s
Me & my brothers & sisters were in the
              lodge my brother was there the longest
              he's called Tony Stow but they called him (Anthony)
              when i was there i remember a frankie maughan & i
              think he had an older sister called teresa im positive
              there was a big family but i cant remember the rest of
              their names. hopefully it's the same family would love
              to know whatever happened to them all. kate

old wallion

« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2009, 11:28:34 PM »
Terry McCauley worked there for years
              he was there when i was in the home.
knew Terry very well and he worked in Naz house and was brought up in Naz lodge from childhood. I did some work there in the 70s and 80s. :) :)

old wallion

« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2009, 11:33:15 PM »
Stow, Did you know Robert o Conner who was in the lodge in the early 70s and came from Derry. He was an apprentice of mine. A good guy :) :) :)

kathleen 63

« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2009, 07:18:56 PM »
hi tony this is kathleen maughan do remember you.my brothers were in the same group as you franco and charlie.yes we remember terry and he is still living in belfast and working with the nuns.if you want to speak more send e.mail address.

JohnnyBGood

« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2009, 12:49:46 PM »
Good to see that people out there do have minds of their own to analyse the Ryan Report and question the absence of perspective in the media coverage.
Much harm was surely done by evil people 'religious' included HOWEVER.... the stats reflect my comments and my personal experience of the time:
of all the accusations 12% were of rape
                                   12% were against 'priests'
                                   88% were of physical abuse
                                   82% related to before 1970
I pointed out that attitudes to physical abuse pre mid 1970's were very much different to today.
'Corporal punishment' was legal and encouraged by the state.... across many countries, nomatter their religion.
Many of the accused are not around to defend themselves and the Redress Board has paid out to people
whose claims in courts of law were deemed to be false or unreliable. Ask yourself 'why'?
There was no such thing as 'training' for child care back in the 30's to 60's. Touchy feely wasn't something people understood in those years.( No excuse for evil ofcourse, but puts 'physical abuse' in a clearer perspective)
The continual efforts to cover up or protect offenders over the years is ofcourse unacceptable and partly explains why the church is not  even attempting to  publicly defend its innocent of the time. From one grave mistake to another, in my opinion.
And my last word ............. even  of the 12 apostles, hand chosen by Jesus of Nazareth , 1 gave in to evil.

PaddyConlon

« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2009, 05:25:51 PM »
I remember Tony Stow and Tommy Maughan both good lads

PaddyConlon

« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2009, 05:29:40 PM »
What happened to the Mckittricks/Jordens, Tony Mccormick, Louie Tohill and any of the Staff you worked their?

julie gartland

« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2009, 03:27:29 PM »
to paddy conlan hi julie gartland  and 2 sisters where in st ambrose group up till 1980s till 1981  would u please contact me on 07517828771 as io would like to here from u as i cant get near a pc at mo useing mates pc so if u could contact me threw moblie
;-)

julie gartland

« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2009, 10:23:10 AM »
Hi, I grew up in Naz/Lodge for nearly 13yrs. I was mostly in Sister Ambroses group. I would love to find any of my friends from that era...up until 1984
By the way I really gave the nuns a hard time...however, in my opinion they had a really hard job to do and did thier best
 with what they had...people should not be so quick to judge others..you know what He says "let them without sin cast the first stone" ???
also, is thier any of the staff out there?
;-)

julie gartland

« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2009, 10:26:19 AM »
to shyirishgirl, im not near the pc very often, tex me  07517828771 and the goes to any one else the i no 4m the home, ,,so paddy get ur bkside in gear and   tex me, if u ever get bk on line the is,,  anyway have fun,,,
;-)

Mooney

« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2009, 09:31:07 PM »
i went to the Orphanage with my sister in 1945 for midnight Mass at Christmas. It snowed while we were at Mass and was the most beautiful untrodden snow I had ever seen. An old sister showed us around the orphanage. I was frightened (I was only 9) to see how the little infants raised their arms out to be held or touched
Yony Mooney

Erincyprus

« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2009, 10:21:59 PM »
My Aunt Kathleen Griffin worked as a Child Care Nurse in Naz for many years.  She is now 75 Years old and comes to my Mums every Wednesday so I will ask her what she remembers most about the Childrens Home.  I know she always prays every day for all the Children she cared for there and has done most od her life.

Erin.
God made Whisky to stop the Irish ruling the World

millview

« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2009, 07:23:47 PM »
If you need record from Nazareth House try this it work for me.

write to
 Nazareth House Care Village
516 Ravenhill Road
Belfast
Bt6 0BW

My G Grandmother was in it from 1892 to 1897 and i was sent the record, but i did put 10 in with my letter.

Nazareth House was situated in Ormeau road which is adjacent to Ravenhill road.

Hope this will help someone.

Millview

youngdrum

« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2009, 10:55:04 PM »
 Hi Paddy,
i grew up at 109 South Parade and spent from the early seventies to 1983 hanging around with some of of the kids from the " lodge ". I went to St.Michaels and remeber Tony McCormicks first day in new school. He came in i guess around P4 OR 5  and you know kids dont like new kids !! Tony was fighting everyone for few weeks !! He won most of them !! tough wee nut !! The Jordans also i remeber well David was the older one and Robert was the younger one. Decent table tennis players.. good kids.. Frankie Maughan saved a few of us from a good kicking one time at the old Ormeau swimmers.. we were surrounded by a few guys from the " Pass " but Frankie stepped in and he always looked a lot older than he was so i think scared them off !!!! Do you remember Marty Gorman ? PJ Little ?
Regards..
Conor Drummond